How it began
The Church’s Ministry Among Jewish People, founded in 1809, had had extensive work all through Eastern Europe and the Mideast. During World War II, CMJ workers, Jew and Gentile, as well as schools and training centers were decimated. CMJ leaders went before the Lord: Is our work finished? they asked. As they prayed the Lord reminded them that while six million Jewish people had lost their lives in the Holocaust, there were yet six million Jews in the United States. Did he want CMJ to reach West now as well as East? It was after these prayers by intercessors in England that the invitation came to Walter Barker to extend CMJ ministry to the United States and he was introduced to Theresa Newell. She opened the first CMJ USA office in 1982.
- Prologue: Joseph Frey in America
- The First Coming CMJ to the US
- Meet two Jewish Anglicans, ancestors in the faith
- Theresa Newell and the start of CMJ USA
- History in first person: Rev. Philip Bottomley
- History in first person: Rev. Alfred Sawyer
- History in first person: Marcia Lebhar
- History in first person: Cheryl (McLeod) Gonzales (coming October 15)
- History in first person: Rev. Canon Daryl Fenton (coming November 15)
Celebrate with us!
We invite all of you to celebrate with CMJ USA this year. Our celebration will be marked with stories about our history in CMJ publications all year and will culminate with a luncheon at the New Wineskins Global Mission Conference in Ridgecrest, NC, on September 23, 2022.
Archbishop Foley Beach, a long-time supporter of CMJ USA, will be the luncheon speaker.
Register for the New Wineskins Conference (Sept. 22-25) then let us know you'll join us for the luncheon.
Also look for our two Mission Awareness Presentations:
- Romans 1:16: More than a Suggestion? with Dr. Theresa Newell
Friday, Sept. 23, 2:20-2:50 p.m. in Ivy 8
- Introducing Yeshua (Jesus) to your Jewish Neighbor with Rev. Philip Bottomley
Saturday, Sept. 24, 3:10-3:40 p.m. in Dogwood 2B
We also invite you to a pre-conference we are hosting at Ridgecrest before the New Wineskins conference.
Israel: Key to reaching the nations
September 22, 1-4 p.m.
Ridgecrest (NC) Conference Center
Come hear from CMJ workers from Israel and the USA as we
- Examine God’s strategy for reaching the nations as revealed in the biblical mandate to take the Gospel to the Jews first (Rom 1:16), with Rev. Alex Jacob, CMJ UK.
- Learn how antisemitism within the Church has been a stumbling block to the Jewish people. We’ll also discuss how combating antisemitism today is a practical way for Christians to show our love for our Jewish neighbors, with Tuvya Zaretzky, Jews for Jesus.
- Hear testimony of the work in Israel.
- Find out how you and your church can support CMJ and get started in reaching your Jewish friends and relatives, with Rev. Philip Bottomley, CMJ USA.
Partner with us
We are thankful to God for sustaining us these 40 years. You can help us prepare for the next 40.
- Invite us to share with your congregation or small group on
- the Jewishness of Jesus and the Jewish roots of our Christian faith
- standing against rising antisemitism in the US
- building bridges with your Jewish neighbors.
- Pray for us: volunteer to be on our intercessor team.
- Give practical support toward the work of CMJ USA.